Tuesday 24 February 2009

Answered Questions - Happiness Is... - 1990 - EMI USA

Answered Questions was one of THE albums that made the hot summer of 1990 even HOTTER. This remarkable due consists of songwriter Morris Rente and the delicious hi-octave ranged vocalist Marva King. Together they delivered one of the albums of 1990 and it was a pretty bad show that they never went on to record a follow-up album together as there was real magic here. I had long been a fan of Marva King, since her 1981 LP, "Feels Right" for Planet Records, and bar one very unusual and Hip Hop flavoured CD back in 2004 has not disappointed me. Lovers of quality ballads and dancers will be more than appeased with this album, and if you, like me, like nice artwork the album sleeve is a real extra bonus too! I have 5 choices on this CD - the first being the excellent uptempo "Happiness Is" which allows Marva to really fly high with her remarkable vocal skills. This sort of track would not be out of place on a more soulful Jeff Lorber album - something I wish he would do more of today.

The semi-instrumental stepper, "Serious" takes us into a different flavour, a synthesised voice and funky groove helps create light and shade on the album, which is something I very much appreciate. I hate to listen to a CD that plods along at the same tempo. Gimme something to latch onto and I'm happy! "Now That I Have You" is a lovely late 80s ballad in the mode of, say, La Rue or Club Nouveau and should please, as will the KILLER sexy groove of "Let's Make Love Always". This track sends me to heaven. Just need the right company and I'll be all set! ;) The flagship song, though, it has to be said is the punchy and more bass-pin thumping beat-ballad "Give It Up". This is as classy as 1990s Soul / RnB whatever could have wished to have been. Marva really is scrumptious and proves that she is, above ANY other so-called singer around, that she is the real talent. How DARE the likes of non-0entities such as Beyonce grace the Presidential party when they cannot hold a candle to the likes of this Lady? To me it's an insult and an injustice and is the raison detre why I write. Let's seek out talent, let's celebrate it and spread the word. Be they from the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s or today. If it's quality, Soulchoonz will cover it.

Barry Towler
The Vibe Scribe

Buy Rare Answered Questions CDs at MusicStack