Sunday 15 February 2009

The Stylistics - Love Is Back In Style - 1996 - Marathon

"Love Is Back In Style" was the last effort to date from these guys, and the album was real surprise. I was not, to be honest, expecting it to be as brilliant as it was but as soon as I heard it I was smitten. I wasn't too impressed by 1991's "Love Talk" so wasn't holding out much hope here. However, this CD is produced by the ultra-talented Preston Glass and what he has done on this album is to set the classic Stylistics Philly sound to a mid 90s setting - and he succeeded! Big time in fact. The sitar is in the mix, and although the backings are programmed and there are no strings, this is as good as any of their work on TSOP, or with Thom Bell earlier in the 70s on Avco. The CD even included a guest in the form of Biggie Smallz - Godknows how they hooked up with him, but there you go. The things you see when you haven't got your gun. Oddly enough, I ignore that dreadful track and focus on the real quality, and to which I highlight a whopping 8 tracks.

Track one, "I Once Had A Love", perfectly allows Tenor Russel Thompkins Jr to prove that his vocal skills are no less than what they were 25 years earlier. This is a truly great track and typical of the best work you would have expected from these guys back in the 70s. A track I played to death at the time was "Shoulder". This is a track that has a permanent home in my heart. I cannot conceive not having this track, and I feel exactly the same about "Have You Ever Been In Love" too. Preston Glass and The Stylistics together are a force to be reckoned with, and they are a tour de force of real, unadulterated sweet soul music. Many missed out on this CD and I hope you'll take a chance and grab this rare CD now. "Keeping You To Your Promise" is a great track, and was covered recently too. The upbeat "Go" is very 80s and Russell's falsetto fitting the bill, not as shrill as he was and that's not too bad a thing! I imagine you bought both of the recent Preston Glass albums, and the style Theron will give you a clear indication of what "Where Do You Run" is like. A midtempo song without the Philly accouterments, this is straight quality mid '90s soul music as good as it comes. The 70s is adopted again for "Love Can Heal A Wounded Heart", and the killer midtempo groove of "You Must Love Loneliness" completes this essential modern set from a veteran band. Now a rare album, don't allow it to disappear forever.


Barry Towler
The Vibe Scribe

Buy from Amazon